Higher educational establishment: Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University
Institution under accreditation:Ministry of Education and Science of UkraineNational Agency for Ensuring Quality of Higher Education Accreditation period: The program is implemented in 2016, accredited for 10 years. License. Series НД-ІV №2479788 Program level: FQ – ЕНЕА – first cycle, QF-LLL – 6 level, НРК – 7 level
The program aim:Preparation of historians with a deep fundamental knowledge, skills of multidisciplinary historical research, competitive specialist able to make his activity on the basis of projecting, creative approach, partnership in communication and ensuring the link between historical science and social consciousness in scientific and educational activities.
The program characteristics
Subject field,Field of training: History, interdisciplinary; field of study – history, “studying – examine” principle is in the basis of the educational process, implementation of which involves the full development of research skills by implementing research seminar led by Professor - a specialist in a particular field of historical knowledge, to discuss the problems of students research and enrichment, participation in the implementation of research programs.
The focus of the program: general / special: Focusing on interdisciplinary content of the master's program, which provides the introduction of the original courses of studying history, historical and civilization development of the peoples of Europe (ethno-national, identity, immigration, government formation process, socio-political and economic transformation) in conjunction with such basic subjects as philosophy of history and methodology of historical research etc.
Program focusing:The development of complex of general and specific competencies needed for skilled researchers that expand scientific outlook and ability to conduct methodological analysis and critical understanding of modern science achievements; allow to create their own concept of didactic system projecting in teaching activities; apply the tools and technologies of social and intercultural interaction; mutual understanding in a dialogue with others in the framework of cooperation and co-creation.
Program peculiarities: The program develops perspectives of both European and world history, deep knowledge and critical approach to national and regional historiography. Developing of spatial, thematic and diachronic aspects of the history from the Middle Ages to the present.
Employment and further education
Employment: Position of a history teacher in secondary schools, geography teacher, organizer of education, worker of social and cultural institutions, state and local authorities bodies
Education continuation:The ability to study under the program of the third cycle in the field of knowledge, which is consistent with the received Master's degree, the opportunity to teach, access to specialized research in history.
Teaching style and methodology
Approaches to teaching and training: The general style of learning – student-centered, active, receive professional and specialized competencies provided by a comprehensive combination of compulsory subjects and subjects of specialization, research practices and certification. To implement the program, students must pass the research practice, write and successfully defend a master’s degree thesis (volume 75-90 pages), which is funded much of the time for writing and defense.
Assessment system: Oral and written examinations, presentations, assistantship practice, final examination on specialization and final qualification work.
General General cultural and humanitarian – the ability to absorb and use the complex knowledge of world and national culture; be involved in the culture through a process of spiritual communication and feelings; absorb the culture in co-creation; produce behavior models focused on human values. Civic competence – the ability of a human actively, responsibly and effectively implement civil rights and responsibilities for the development of a democratic civil society, a harmonious combination of personal interests with the needs of society and participate in the functioning of democratic institutions.
Language and communication – mastering of native and foreign languages, modern means of communication and the fundamentals of computer literacy to ensure effective information support of scientific research, enabling of multidisciplinary and professional communications.
Interpersonal competence – the ability to communicate, teamwork, self-criticism, self-discipline, the use of different codes and means of communication.
Research competence – the ability to use scientific tools (define research objectives, select the information to justify the methodology) for theoretical and experimental research in educational and professional activities.
Competence in social relations – the ability of the individual flexibly orient in the ever-changing social conditions and effectively cooperate with the social environment. Organizational – the ability to form a structural model of the personal management (to take the initiative, to develop strategies, to optimize the time spent on various forms of work, intellectual independence and critical awareness).
Managerial competence – the ability to manage in accordance with the standards of quality based on the needs and interests of the target groups.
Competence in teamwork – the ability to cooperate and integrate in the pursuit of goals with other people, agencies, organizations and actively participate in team work, regardless of background knowledge and views on the defined tasks.
Competence in innovation and improvement sphere – the ability to the practical application of new ideas, suggestions, educational practices to improve purposeful, continuous and self-organized learning.
Subject oriented Subject-historical competence – discovery of knowledge and understanding of the scientific fundamentals of a thematic area, research methodology of historical process at the national, European and global contexts.
Productive competence – the ability to work, get results, make decisions and take responsibility for them.
Methodological – knowledge of the laws of scientific, social and professional thinking, mastering of complex, integrative, historical, dynamic, situational, and systemic approaches to scientific analysis, the ability to use the methods of historical research.
Organizational – the ability to form a structural model of the personal management (to take the initiative, to develop strategies, to optimize the time spent on various forms of work, intellectual independence and critical awareness).
Personal competence – the desire to self-development and self-improvement in scientific and educational activities, awareness of their own abilities, the capacity for reflection and self-analyses, competitiveness.
Projective competence – the ability to transforming of teaching and research activities based on forecasting, planning, projecting and modeling phenomena, processes and systems, ability to develop projects and manage the quality of the work.
Historiographic and source study competence – understanding of placement, principles of selection, application historiographical heritage and archival documents for the reconstruction of the political and cultural history in Ukrainian and global contexts, for a comprehensive study of historical, socio-political, state, social and cultural aspects of the formation and life activity of the world societies.
Interdisciplinary – the ability to use interdisciplinary approaches for conducting comparative studies and generalizations about the nature of ethnic and state processes, the presence of common and different in the world history.
Information – the ability to obraine knowledge of different communication flows, work with sources of historical information, the use of high standards of text analysis.
Axiological – the ability to formulate and evaluate the versions of historical events in accordance with universal values of a certain time and a certain group of people.
Logical – the ability to define and apply theoretical concepts, provision, concept for analysis and explanations of historical facts, events, processes, use complex of scientific definitions to solve scientific problems.
Competence of historical memory – the ability to ideological self-determination, conscious attitude to historical memory as a part of the cultural capital, the formation of social and moral position of the individual.
Subject oriented Geographic – knowledge of modern theoretical and methodological fundamentals of geography, content of basic and special geographical sciences, fundamentals of geography ideas, concepts, laws and regularities of scientific and geographic phenomena.
Cartography and geographic – mastering of knowledge of geographic maps and ability to reproduce cartographic literacy (make descriptions of geographic features and phenomena on the map, organize knowledge about various ways of image, collect and generelyze information by maps).
Research – knowledge of the methodological fundamentals and methods of scientific research, the ability to use scientific tools for theoretical and experimental research in the academic, practical and vocational activities.
Analytical – understanding of scientific data on the geographical features of the world, the geography of a place in the system of scientific knowledge and its value; knowledge of the fundamentals of history and geography and the main directions of modern geography development.
Communicative – the ability to organize communication of students and pupils, willingness to communicate with communities at local, regional, national, European and global level - to develop the professional knowledge and skills, understanding of the practices and contexts.
Information – the ability to search, process and analyze information from various sources, primarily using digital technology.
Projective competence – the ability to transfor teaching and research activities based on forecasting, planning, projecting and modeling phenomena, processes and systems, ability to develop projects and manage the quality of the work.
Scientific-methodical competence – knowledge of theories, concepts and categories of the essence, principles, contents, forms and methods of teaching geography, geography teaching experience and pedagogical practices.
Competence in innovation and improvement sphere - is based on the information on innovations in education, using different educational technologies and tools of training for ensuring the quality of the educational process in secondary schools
General cultural – the ability to understand the importance of culture as a form of human existence, appreciate diversity and multicultural world and guided in their work by modern principles of tolerance, dialogue and cooperation.
Practical – the ability to solve specific geographical challenges and use geographic information, knowledge and skills in practice and in everyday life.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student shows knowledge and understanding of:
• Theories of historical process, stages and methods of historical research, the social functions of historical consciousness, the place and role of historical knowledge in modern society.
• The content of major trends and schools of modern history, the main problems in the development of modern historiography and modern humanities impact on historiographical process.
• Basic theoretical and methodological aspects of oral discourse of historical research in space of the past constructing.
• Specificity of philosophical knowledge, basic range of philosophical problems, principles of philosophical approach to learning.
• Main works of local and foreign historians on topical issues of the history of Ukrainian statehood.
• International relations and foreign policy of the world's leading period of recent history, the most important problems of the history of international relations and new trends in their development in the post-bipolar world and globalization processes.
• Essence, features and stages of integration processes in Europe, institutional and legal fundamentals of the European Union.
• The features of creation, activity of a variety of regional and inter-regional international organizations.
• Stages of Ukrainian ethnicity development, its regional variations and the formation of Ukrainian foreign communities in the world.
• The specifics of education as a cultural phenomenon and a social institution in its historical, and socio-cultural dynamics.
• General terms of the system of legal regulation of education in Ukraine.
• Features and content of educational process in higher educational establishment.
• Methods of improving speech technique as a means of transferring knowledge and skills.
• Essence, history, origin, classification, structure and interdependence of modern didactic creative learning technologies in higher education.
A student shows the ability to:
• Characterize the existing paradigm of the history of Ukrainian statehood, its conditionality and sociodynamics against the backdrop of global state forming processes.
• Orient in international politics, geopolitical conditions, to analyze social phenomena and generalize the political experience.
• Analyze the legal and institutional dimensions of cooperation between Ukraine and the EU, identify prospects and consequences of modern integration processes and place them in Ukraine.
• Identify relevant research tasks, collect the necessary information for its solution, formulate scientifically valid conclusions, to present the activity results.
• Arrange the conducting of empirical sociological research, apply the appropriate to purpose and objectives methods of collecting primary sociological material.
• Apply scientific criticism to the analysis of researchers views, to make generalizations about their theoretical and methodological level of research papers on history.
• Professionally develop scientific hypothesis based on the available source material.
• Use professionally oriented knowledge, abilities and practical skills in basic sections to study ethnology for ethnic phenomena and processes research.
• Make the Ukrainian ethno-psychological characteristics, characterize the course of ethnic processes in Ukraine and predict their development.
• Analyze Ukrainian history through the theory of the Big Frontier, identify the main features of the history and culture of Ukrainian Cossacks and compare them to the known world analogues.
• Search for information in a foreign language for the task, collect and analyze data needed to resolve conditionally professional tasks; present foreign language information of a professional character in the form of report.
• Use professionally oriented knowledge and practical skills to solve theoretical and practical problems in the field of history.
A student shows the readiness to:
• Social interactions, take an active civil position and make conscious choice in terms of today's political pluralism.
• Professional conduct independent historical research, develop thematic project by the method of oral history.
• Apply scientific worldview, philosophical culture of thought and knowledge.
• Apply knowledge of history and ethnology for reconstruction of individual elements and rituals of traditional culture.
• Identify tolerance in communication.
• Implementation of developing, coordinating, administrative functions of university teacher, the capacity for self-development and self-improvement.
• Comply with legal and ethical requirements in the academic and professional activities.
• To intellectual understanding and practical application of the historical experience of the development of state and law in professional activities.
• Use computer technology, the technology distance learning, module and tutor training system, technology of situational training (case-method), research projects and technology of training in cooperation as instruments of knowledge.
• Create your own concept of didactic system projecting.
Program Learning Outcomes in Specialization
• Knowledge of the history of geography development as a science, and history of local discoveries.
• The process of global economic, political, cultural integration and unification.
• Essence of territorial and political organization of society; historical stages of the formation of political geography and geopolitics; features of modern political world; paradigm and the concept of geopolitics, fundamentals of electoral geography.
• Research conducting methodology of the levels of socio-economic development and quality of life. Major regional issues, possible ways of their effective solving and prospects for regional development.
• The natural geographical fundamentals of tourist activity. Modern trends of domestic and international tourism development. Tourist resource potential of regions of Ukraine.
• Methodological principles of teaching geography, creative educational technology, content, scientific fundamentals of studying organizing of geography students at the subject orientd level, professional qualification framework.
• Do the analysis of regional economic development for the set of indicators and comparative analysis of business functions of regions for their main economic indicators.
• Identify patterns of spatial differentiation of natural and man-made landscapes, natural background geochemical tool components; perform evaluation of geochemical and geophysical peculiarities of landscapes complexes of different taxonomic levels.
• Do a comparative analysis of the features of formation and morphology of the state territory of different regions, apply methods of regional geopolitical analysis.
• Develop tourism and geographic routes, do analytical generalizations and projections on various aspects of tourism.
• Do the assessment of the urban environment; make plans of appropriate measures of restoration and improvement of natural and man-made systems in cities around the world and Ukraine.
• Apply methodological approaches and modern technology of teaching geography with age and individual characteristics of students, to support educational processes of socialization, preparing them for responsible choice of life.
• Independently decide specific geographical challenges and use geographic information, knowledge and skills in practice and in everyday life.
• Readiness for acceptance of diversity and multiculturalism in the world, guided by the principles of tolerance, dialogue and cooperation.